Assisting in the formulation of policies in relation to the subject of Women and Child Development for the creation of a “Prosperous Society” under the direction and guidance of the Minister of Women, Child Affairs and Social Empowerment in conformity with the prescribed Laws, Acts and Ordinances and implementing, projects under the National Budget, State Investment and National Development Programme, and implementing, monitoring and evaluating subjects and functions of the relevant Department and Institutes.
• Department of Probation and Child Care Services
• National Child Protection Authority
• National Secretariat for Early Childhood Development
• National Committee on Women
• Women’s Bureau of Sri Lanka
Special Priorities according to the Gazette
1. Formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of policies, programmes and projects, in relation to the subject of Women, Child Affairs and Social Empowerment and those subjects that come under the purview of Departments, Statutory Institutions and Public Corporations listed in Column II based on the national policies implemented by the government, and in accordance with the policy statement “Vistas of Prosperity and Splendour”
2. Provision of public services under the purview of the Ministry in an efficient and people friendly manner
3. Reforming all systems and procedures using modern management techniques and technology, thus ensuring that the functions of the Ministry are fulfilled while eliminating corruption and waste.
4. Implementation of Women’s Charter
5. Formulation and implementation of strategies to enhance women’s participation and representation in decision making in state affairs and the political field
6. Adoption of necessary measures for empowerment of women affected by confl icts and poverty
7. Strengthening and Implementation of laws and policies for the prevention of women and child abuse
8. Amending existing laws and formulation and implementing new laws and policies to prevent discrimination against women on the basis of sex and gender
9. Formulation and implementation of policies and programmes for the empowerment of women headed households
10. Accomplishment of Sustainable development Goals in relation to women and child affairs
11. Formulation and implementation of a national policy for pre-schools
12. Formulation of policies and programmes on early childhood protection and development aimed at bringing up physically and mentally healthy children
13. Develop and implementation of programmes and projects in line with international standards to protect the rights of vulnerable children
14. Implementation of the Children’s Charter
15. Regulating Child Care Centre
16. Implementation of the Sevana Sarana Foster-Parent Scheme
17. Providing financial assistance for developing the skills of exceptionally talented children
An advanced society the enjoy the full benefits of development fairly and equally.
Formulate and execute programmes for providing and enhancing legal, institutional and human resource services for the economic empowerment, social protection of women, children, vulnerable and disadvantaged people considering national priorities and requirements along with international standards.